Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Reading: Bonhoeffer

Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Christmas Sermons edited and translated by Edwin Robertson is a book which was given to me in 2007 by my dear friend Scott Lakey. I will be reading it throughout December in light of Die Weihnachtssaison (the Christmas season), and occasionally I will post some quotes from differing sermons, hoping you will be encouraged. It is not merely Bonhoeffer's writings which encourage Christians in this time, but even more so, his life as he is a crucial figure and example for us to look at today to learn from, regarding how to do "public theology." I would encouraged you to at least do a wikipedia search on Bonhoeffer and read who this man was.

December 2, 1928
Advent Sunday

"Waiting is an art our impatient age has forgotten."
"The celebration of Advent is possible only to those who are troubled in soul, who know themselves to be poor and imperfect, and who look forward to something greater to come. For these, it is enough to wait in humble fear until the Holy Ony himself comes down to us, God in the child in the manger. God coms. The Lord Jesus comes. Christmas comes. Christians rejoice!"

"Two inescable realities exist... sin and death. Who can bring help as we face these destructive realities? Who can deliver us from their dire effect? Only One! Our Lord delivers us from sin and death. shall we not cry, as the first believers did, "Come Lord!" This is the ancient cry, "Maranatha," and quickly come!"
"Lord Jesus, come yourself, and dwell with us, be human as we are, and overcome what overwhelms us. Come into the midst of my evil, come close to me unfaithfulness. Share my sin, which I hate and which I cannot leave. Be my brother, Thou holy god. Be my brother in the kingdom of evil and suffering and death. Come with me in my death, come with me in my suffering, come with me as I struggle with evil. And make me holy and pure, despite my sin and death."

No comments:

Post a Comment